We're Going to Be Friends
Street Date: 11/21/2017
Genre: Children's Book
"Possibly the greatest-ever song about childhood BFFs.” — Entertainment Weekly
"We're Going to be Friends" is one of The White Stripes most enduring and loved songs. With the help of illustrator Elinor Blake (aka April March), the perennial favorite feels right at home on the page as a hardcover children's book. Coming this November, children, adults, and you, too, can join Suzy Lee as she goes to school with her books and pens, looks for bugs, shows and tells, and finds a friend.
• WE’RE GOING TO BE FRIENDS, a new children’s book based on song lyrics from one of the most loved and recognizable songs by THE WHITE STRIPES.
• WE’RE GOING TO BE FRIENDS is the first book by twelve-time Grammy winning musician, actor, and producer JACK WHITE.
• Illustrator ELINOR BLAKE was an animator for The Ren and Stimpy Show, Pee-wee’s Playhouse & more. As a musician, she is known as singer APRIL MARCH, who’s song "Chick Habit" was featured in Quentin Tarantino’s movie Death Proof.
• The original White Stripes song along with new versions by April March and also The Woodstation Elementary School Singers will be included via download with the book.
• WE'RE GOING TO BE FRIENDS will be vailable at pre-release events and limited distribution beginning in early November — including pre-orders from Third Man — and on all bookshelves for nationwide release on November 21, just a few months after THE WHITE STRIPES 20th anniversary as a band (July 14, 2017).
"In my favorite picture books text and art feel like they were conceived as one. This book has that quality. The text is the lyrics from the wonderful, now classic song "We're Going To Be Friends" by Jack White. In place of sound and music we have Elinor Blake's pictures. These images surprise and delight and have a genuine and rare timelessness, I can easily visualize this charming creation sitting snug between books by Robert McCloskey and Garth Williams on any bookshelf both past and present." — Tony Fucile, Animator, Finding Nemo, The Lion King
"I am a big fan of classic children’s book illustrations and an even bigger fan of Elinor Blake. I’m also a huge fan of pure Rock and Roll so naturally I’m a dedicated Jack White fan. Jack has written a perfect story and Elinor’s art is enchanting. It harkens back to 1940s Golden Books. Read it while listening to either Jack or Elinor sing the story. It’s a sonic/optic treat.” — John Kricfalusi, The Ren and Stimpy Show — John Kricfalusi, The Ren & Stimpy Show
"It’s back to school! Walk with Suzy Lee and her new friend. In hues of red, black and white with nods to classic animation and mid-century picture books, Elinor Blake creates an enchanted vision for Jack White’s gentle story of new friendship.”—Nina Crews, The Neighborhood Mother Goose
About the Author and Illustrator
+ + +
Jack White is a twelve-time Grammy-winning musician, producer, and actor. He is best known for his work in the bands The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and as a solo artist. In 2009 he also founded his own record label, Third Man Records.
+ + +
Elinor Blake, a.k.a. singer/songwriter April March, is a Disney trained animator first hired at age eighteen by Paul Reubens for Pee Wee's Playhouse, in a studio so large there was rollerskating around the drawing boards after hours. She then went on to work with some of the best known artists and directors in movies and television, among them Ralph Bakshi, Quentin Tarantino, Nick Park, and John Kricfalusi. She's animated everything from Coke to Crest Toothpaste and everyone from Ren & Stimpy to Bugs Bunny, not to mention Frank Zappa (whom she just mentioned). This is her first children's book.